It will never go away

 


Hello all. I hope you are ok. I am feeling a good deal better, thank you. I still feel a bit like I have an anvil on my chest but lots of the weird Covid stuff has moved on. I haven't had Covid since 2020 and you do forget what a strange thing it is. Apart from the general extreme unwell feeling, there is the blurred eyesight, the ringing in the ears, the nausea and the (ahem) diarrhoea. I mean, really? I wasn't even eating, so it hardly seemed fair. HOH also had it but neither of us had any idea where we got it from. We don't get out that much.

A couple of Saturdays ago HOH and I drove into Devon to collect HOH and her +1 from a wedding. HOH had a really drippy nose and I mean REALLY drippy. At the time, we put it down to him tidying behind me while I was doing the bi-annual swapover of clothes from the basement. He is quite sensitive to the dust sometimes and, I did warn him - affirming that I was perfectly capable of undoing those vacuum packing bags. However, he knows best apparently so, my thinking was, when the old nose seemed to be reacting, that he had brought it on himself. However, within a day he was bedridden and coughing like someone from the Little Dorrit debtors' prison so I felt a bit guilty. (A bit). 

It was extra annoying because we were due a visit from family up North and, having tested, we had to phone them and ask tentatively - 

"Have you set off?"

"No, just finishing packing."

"Ah. About that."

I did get a very nice but annoying text from a friend who more or less said - thank goodness she had already got her vaccination because, as she said encouragingly, It will never go away. 

I don't think our general health was helped by the trip to Modbury to pick up the wedding revellers. Modbury is a smallish market town and, to get to it, you have to negotiate what feels like a million miles of tiny winding roads. That would be bad enough but, after dark, there are no lights. It is pitch black so the full beam has to be going on and off all the time which is hard work but what with that and having to keep stopping so that I could knock the werewolves off the roof - it was a tense drive. I don't really know how people get away with not putting up any lighting. Round here, they tend to say that the locals know the routes like the back of their hands which only reinforces the feeling that holidaymakers aren't that welcome.   


So, I have spent the last ten days or so - once I regained my sight - doing a bit of reading - nothing too taxing - Anthony Horovitz's Close to Death. He's really clever I think. Also, I watched some telly. I caught up on Only Murders - is it me or is it rubbish this time? I couldn't even remember who was murdered. Also, I had forgotten that I had bought the DVD set of Campion so I watched one of those. It was excellent. I don't know why I thought it might be a bit bobbins - probably the combination of 80s telly and loving the books so much might have made me a bit judgemental but it was excellent. I couldn't hear everything because my ears keep making a wooshing noise but what I could make out - I was all for it. 

I'm not very good at being ill. I tend to catastrophise a lot - possibly because of the type of church background I come from.  Twenty years ago, a friend had an unusually late tonsillectomy. All went well so she was quite surprised to return from the hospital to find a card behind the front door which assured her "This sickness is not unto death." She hadn't been worried at all until the church visitation team decided to "encourage" her.
However, I am feeling a bit more like it and I spent the afternoon watching HOH doing a bit of sea swimming while I read. Therefore, it's time to fit a bit of work in next week if possible. I'll let you know if I manage to crawl through it.

Thank you very much for your comments and prayers. It is much appreciated and important. Have a good week.


Comments

  1. Hope you are soon recovered completely. Take care..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Am getting there. I'm only just eating chocolate again though

      Delete
  2. I do hope you are feeling tickety-boo again soon. Your mention of Campion reminded me of a Uni friend who always talked like a 1930s chap, and tickety-boo was one of his phrases.
    I too feel that OMITB is not as good. I'm enjoying the latest series of Chelsea Detective just released on U.
    To walk to my friends' house takes less than 4 minutes. The first part is up the alley at end of the Close, which is lit. The second half is along the main road through the village. After 6.30 it is pitch black, I carry a small torch....and encounter intrepid dog walkers who lurch along in the dark. Last week I forgot the torch, and was startled to suddenly encounter a woman with her canine. She didn't expect me either! Maybe I should sing hearty hymns as I trot home from the maths tuition session... Or would that be even more scary.? I can foresee comments on the Next Door site "Did anyone else meet a small wild grey haired granny encountered singing tunelessly about Elijah last Thursday? She was near the Care Home at the end of the village"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are turning all the lights off around here at the moment. Apparently, the council can't afford it. I remember a history lesson where we were told that one of the biggest reasons for the reduction in street crime was the advent of street lighting. It's a bit worrying.
      I have referred to people's friends as "chums" since I read Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers. It's a great word.

      Delete

Post a Comment