Beach Baby

 Hello everyone. I hope that you are doing well - all things considered. If you are in the UK, you will know that we are dealing with all sorts of things. We have another new Prime Minister. I quite like the look of him. There's been a lot about him wearing T-shirts, but he can wear a bin bag as far as I am concerned if he can do the job properly. Then, certain sections of the press had a go at him for wearing "expensive" T-shirts. Good Grief. Can we just get on with it? While we are addressing this nonsense, though, can we just address the pasting his wife got on Social Media because some people (probably a bloke called Duncan in Doncaster who spends too much time in his shed and doesn't often get to touch a woman) felt she didn't look good in her Victoria Beckham dress. Well, I thought she rocked it. I do like a woman who isn't afraid to have hips. Also, as an aside, she speaks three languages, has run several businesses, brought up three children and had an elective double mastectomy. What have you got to say about that, Duncan? 

I would just like to throw in my two pennyworth about the No 10 in the North thing. I'm from Manchester myself. It's one of the world's great cities as far as I am concerned. I think it is a great idea to spread the power from Westminster. I'd just like to make sure that it's not just the North. I live in the South West now. It's lovely, but it often gets missed out when governments are planning or doling out money. When it snows here, entire counties can be cut off. I'm sure many of you could tell similar stories about your areas. It's not just Manchester, that's all. 

The other thing we are dealing with in the UK is the heat. (Although I am aware that other countries are having it much worse). We are now being told that there is a water shortage and we need a hosepipe ban. Now I remember well watching the weatherman on Spotlight news at the end of March informing us all that we were neck deep in rain, the fields were flooded, and it had rained for record amounts of time. So what happened to all that water, eh? They are making fools of us. Uniquely in Europe, almost all our water companies are foreign-owned, and we, the paying customers, are not really an important part of their business model. Down with this sort of thing. Get the chap with the T-shirt on it.

On a much lower level. HOH would like to put in a complaint that the heat is bringing all sorts of people out to his (not his) normally deserted little beach so that he and his chums have to mix with the local ruffians when they go sea swimming. (See above) It's not the people themselves. Although it is more difficult to get changed under a beach towel when there are so many more people watching you. It's how messy they are. He normally sits in the sun for a while when he comes out of the water. He puts his hand down on the stones, only to find a half-eaten tray of chips and curry, left buried under the pebbles. There are bins about ten yards away! Seriously, some people just can't be given nice things. As my mother used to say - you will ruin it for everyone.

My back is much improved. Thank you for your good wishes. I have, nevertheless, had a quiet week. (Am just trying to think of when I have had a rip-roaring week and haven't come up with anything yet. Never mind). I managed to read Remarkably Bright Creatures at last - yay!. It's lovely, isn't it? I mean, I worked out what was going on about 50 pages in, but I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind watching the Netflix film as well. HOH and our daughter went to see the Odyssey this week. They both loved it. Too much crunching and grinding of bodies for me, but they highly recommended it. And for those offended that Helen of Troy was played by a black woman - is it rude to point out that Helen was a FICTIONAL CHARACTER? Good grief.

I'm doing my annual re-read of a Barbara Pym. I'm doing "No Fond Return of Love." There's no method in my madness around which one I choose. We are having a bookcase delivered on Tuesday, and lots of books are piled in the back room. This was on top of the Barbara Pyms. I think they are all sturdy enough for re-reads. Also, I have to declare a fondness for a sort of dip-in, dip-out encyclopedia type of book. This one - Everything is Washable by Sali Hughes is a favourite. She's a beauty journalist, but it's not just about that. (I'm not sure I am her target audience for the beauty stuff. She never mentions Aldi moisturiser) She has chapters on cooking, decorating, hobbies, second-hand clothes shopping, etc. I love these kinds of books - even if I don't take much notice of them. She did one on beauty a few years ago called "Pretty Honest", which I read slavishly and then completely ignored. 

Went to church this morning. It is a bit lower key as August comes in. On one Sunday morning in August, we actually don't have a service. I'm not sure what the Wesleys would have made of it, but I approve wholeheartedly. Lots of people are pooped. Sabbath is made for man, not man for the Sabbath and all that. For those who struggled with the heat, I believe it's roaring back over the next couple of weeks - sorry. Anyway. I'm going now. It's HOH's birthday tomorrow, and that set of unimaginative presents that I have bought him won't wrap themselves. May possibly treat him to a pensioner's lunch tomorrow. Ah, the thrills! Have a good week. 



Comments