Hello everyone. I hope that you are ok. It seems to have been a sad week - with the road deaths, the floods in Nepal, the capsized pleasure boat in Cyprus and the falling sign at the Big Church Festival - it feels like something has happened every time you turn the telly on.
Also, I don't know what it's like where you are, but it definitely feels like summer is well and truly over now. It has been raining and stormy here - I know we need it, but it can still make you feel a bit melancholy. This has been a lovely summer; too hot, obviously, but as we can easily have summers that are complete washouts from beginning to end in this country, I would like to say that I have enjoyed it.
Still, it's over now. B&M has Halloween stuff in; Primark is full of "Autumn Home Decor", and now is the time to join the waitlists for Advent Calendars. (See photo - yes, that does say £245 per calendar. I'm not judging. If I were rich as Croesus, I'd quite fancy one myself.)Far be it from me to rain on anyone's parade, but I have never understood why people need to buy new Autumn decor every year. I mean, I don't usually remember to decorate for Autumn myself, but it does look nice. I'm not sure I could ever see myself shelling out for new stuff every year.
Speaking of spending money like water, because it's Autumn, I am turning into a sucker for anything involving reinvention or health improvement, etc., etc. You know the sort of thing - new diaries and notebooks (irresistible), weight loss (problematic - have you tried that new M&S Ice Cream?) and looking at my gut biome. I made the mistake of clicking on something about women of a certain age (i.e. me) and how our transit slows down. This is borderline unpleasant, I know. I would understand it if you decided to call it a day and not read on. So, there's lots of supplements that you can take to "support your traction" and deal with being post/pre current menopausal symptoms, which include flushes, brain fog, and just being a general rat bag.
Have all these people won the pools? Not that I approve of gambling, obviously - do Premium Bonds count? But I feel that having won the pools would be the only way that I could afford these supplements. I'm currently following a nice young woman on Instagram who is paying off £150,000 worth of debt by selling eggs from her chickens. I can't help but wonder if this massive debt might be partially due to her Symprove Liquid Supplement habit, as she has three bottles in the fridge. (It's about £20 a bottle, and it lasts for 14 days.)
So I had a look on Google about looking after myself better without supplements - maybe diet only - and apparently, because I don't have anything particular wrong with me apart from being old, it seems that I can - so long as I eat 30 different plants a day. 30! Who knew that there were 30 different types of plants? However, it seems that you can include nuts, herbs, spices, oats and coffee (yay). I suppose this makes it more doable. Last week I had a bit of a go at it, and I got into the mid-twenties. Has anyone else ever tried it? I can't say I feel any different, really, but it's probably too soon to see a change, I suppose.
Speaking of change. This was a momentous week, as my mixer has made its last banana bread. It got very, VERY warm while I was using it last week, and I think I did see it spark a bit. (Don't tell HOH.) It's a sad day. That mixer was a wedding present and, although it looks a bit manky, I shall miss it. I didn't even give it a respectful send-off. I was mid-bake, so it had to go into the carrier bag with the rest of the detritus. The search for a replacement begins. If anyone has a decent hand mixer they could recommend, I would be happy to hear about it. We don't have room for a stand mixer, unfortunately. Which means all fantasies I have had of me switching on my mixer while I minx about like Nigella are dead in the water, I'm afraid. Onward and upward, everyone. I'm off to bed. I'm a bit shattered, as our normally quite quiet area was graced by the presence of a young woman at 3.30am. She and her friends were loudly distressed by the absence of a friend called "Ruby" and felt that we all needed to know. For an hour and a half. Have a great Bank Holiday. Those of you who get one.



I seem to remember that chocolate can be counted as one of your thirty plants - that's a trick not to be missed!
ReplyDeleteOk, but is it proper chocolate (Cadbury's whole nut, very sweet - hardly any chocolate in it) or the really dark stuff, which I am not as keen on?
DeleteDepends on how willing you are to cheat!
DeleteOf course cheating would mean that I was only cheating myself - but I definitely will be cheating
DeleteI thought it was 30 different plants per week one had to munch through... much more doable. I went through a phase of noting them all down as the week went on, I think ted, green and yellow peppers counted as three different plants which helped.
ReplyDeleteIt's foxes that keep us awake, but luckily not at the momen while we've still got all the windows open.
Who would have thought we'd all be so excited about rain? I shall start singing Elijah soon...
I don't think that I have ever heard a fox, and I expect it is annoyingly loud, but was it screaming "I hate him, and I want to die!!!" I was thinking that I might go out and help her.
DeleteI have a similar mixer-not a wedding present but bought I think by my new husband in the days when he still thought domestic appliances were a good present. It has followed us to four different houses, mixing away, the only sign of age a bit of fading of the plastic. In that time we have had six microwaves. each new one lasting a shorter time than the one before. Reckon my mixer will outlive them all!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't bet against the mixer winning. I have a hand blender that is now the oldest appliance, and I used that a lot - I used it when my babies were weaning.
DeleteWhen my favourite and ancient hand mixer died, I got a Kenwood HM220, and I love it. Currently our of stock at Argos, Currys and Sainsburys, but you may find one online.
ReplyDeleteIt is 30 A WEEK - see here https://www.nutritionscotland.org/30-plants-a-week-the-new-5-a-day/ Research done by Tim Spectre at Kings College, London [He is Gary Lineker's Cousin]
Is it 30 a week? Well, thank goodness for that! I was thinking that I'm not sure that I eat 30 things a day, and two of those 30 would always be biscuits.
Delete