Signs of Autumn


 

Hello all. I hope that you are ok. I need to apologise in advance for the lack of events and happenings in this week's blog. I am currently enjoying Liza Tarbuck on The Celebrity Pottery Throw Down, and that is probably the highlight of my week. Sorry. 

Although, actually, I also enjoyed the Sewing Bee. I think I would have bet the house on Anna winning very early on. I suppose it is always a good sign if you are making Patrick cry. 

I think it was a bit different for Anna than for all the rest. She seemed to have ambitions around turning any possible win into a film/theatre business. Whereas Beth (who is doing a PHD in engineering) seemed to just want to make cool things to wear. 

I also really liked Sophie Willan as the new host. Because she is (a) from Bolton, (b) Alma's Not Normal was a masterpiece, and (c) she was really charming and supportive. 

The rest of the Autumn stuff is coming thick and fast now. Strictly started last night. I'll be honest, I haven't watched it for about ten years, so I can't really give you an opinion, but the new hosts seemed perfectly fine to me. Also, Bake Off is back. I have kind of stuck with this because it's a bit cheery on an Autumn night, and I like Alison. In case you have been living under a rock, I need to let you know that Nigella is the new judge, which HOH is very pleased about. I don't mind her, but I do think that, given a chance, she can overdo it a bit, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I think that she could do with unarching her back a bit. 

Speaking of top baking. Nigella will have to go some before she reaches this level of excellence. Because yay! Messy Church is back, and I was on sheep cupcakes. (We were doing David - the Early Years.) Someone has clearly told the people in charge of the rotas that I am trustworthy and mature enough to be put in charge of the edibles (including keeping an eye on children with allergies). This is a huge miscalculation. Not because I don't take my responsibilities seriously, but because I can take them a little TOO seriously. "No! You can't sit there! Is that your name on the seat? Are you called Theo? No, you are not! Because your name is Amelia, and you do not have allergies. So put Theo's name back on the seat. Where's your Mummy?!!" (Directs Amelia to a spare seat and places cupcake to be decorated in front of her, smiling like the clown in "It", and tries to get a grip)

Also, we went to the pictures this week. We went to see "Pressure", which is the film about the meteorologist Captain Jack Stagg to see if they are ok to launch D-Day on June 5th. It's a true story, and there is a big clue there. But if you haven't worked out what that is, I suppose I should say that there are spoilers ahead. Jack Stagg predicted a big storm, and an annoying American predicts sunshine and lollipops. As we all probably know, Stagg was right, and they delayed a day, which stopped the entire fleet from getting caught up in terrible storms. Everyone in it is really good - including Andrew Scott and Brendan Fraser does a really good Ike - despite looking or sounding absolutely nothing like him. 
It was much better than I expected. I liked it a lot. It was quite difficult; I would have thought to maintain any kind of jeopardy around such a famous event, but they seemed to manage it.

We have had less than a brilliant week in our building. The Fire Service are not very happy with the quality of the steel in our building, so it may need extra treatment - delaying everything again. As a side worry - while this is being sorted - the locks on the doors to the building have been disengaged as a fire precaution, leading to 999 calls to the police because four blokes were found wandering about in the building. Bit scary, but the police came very quickly. I'll be honest. We are finding it all a bit full-on, so any praying is fully appreciated at the moment. Thank you. Have a good week.



Comments

  1. Technical question regarding the sheep's face. Is that preprepared black icing which Amelia puts on top of cake? ( I may be required to produce a children's activity in the near future, and this looks just about manageable) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Montreal. Greetings to you too. Thank you for your blog

      Delete
  3. The machinations around your flats are very energy- and comfort- sapping. Praying that they get sorted properly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment