Hello all. I hope that you are ok. I'm writing this while watching Antiques Roadshow, which is coming from Dartington Hall, near Totnes, which means that there are a lot of ageing hippies wandering about, looking at people pretending they don't care that their painting is worth five grand and lying that they would never sell.
This has definitely been the week when the weather changed in the South West. HOH's fingers have gone all white again when he swims in the sea. It's certainly colder - one often unforeseen symptom of having your cladding swapped over is that your flat has no insulation until the new stuff gets put up. We actually left the oven door open after making tea tonight to get some heat in. The central heating will not be making an appearance just yet. I spent a lot of yesterday changing my clothes over from summer to winter. I don't really have an interim spring and autumn approach. I just tend to spend a few weeks feeling either too hot or too cold as we move between the seasons. It's exhausting - I don't have many clothes, but I felt like Marie Antoinette when I finished.
Today was International Day at church when lots of people bring food, and everyone over 65 thinks that the Sports Hall smells a bit funny when the cooking is happening. Our new minister wore a jazzy African shirt just to be part of the general vibe. It was a present from a member of the congregation. Actually, HOH was also gifted one of the shirts but, unfortunately, he has never really wanted to be part of any jazzy vibe - he's more of a slate grey/navy kind of vibe.
We have had quite a quiet week here. Just work and all that stuff. We did go to the pictures to see Digger with Tom Cruise. It's not a normal Tom Cruise film. He's full of prosthetics and doesn't jump out of a helicopter at any time. It's a bit of a weird film with a lot of strong and sensible things to say about Climate Change, but it has been absolutely pasted by film critics, and we weren't sure whether to go and see it. However, our daughter had been to see it the day before, and she said to go along with it, and it is probably one of the best films that I have seen this year. There's probably a very deep and edifying message about not being too swayed by someone else's opinions in there. If you decide to go and you hate it, don't blame me.
So that's more or less it this week. I have spent the rest of the week under a blanket (like I said, no heat on yet) with a glass of wine doing a bit of reading - like some annoying Instagram influencer type. I was mucking about on YouTube and found some recommendations for murder mysteries. (Not necessarily cosy). You know, sometimes people are world-famous authors for very good reasons. I had never read Agatha Christie's Cards on the Table before, and it was excellent. I slammed through it; I didn't guess the killer, and it was a great read. I also read The Mystery of the Yellow Room, written in1910, which was apparently the first ever locked-room murder mystery. Well, I'm sure that's correct, but it is so long and stodgy (it's translated from the original French) that I haven't made it through yet. Sooo. I don't know who did it. I'm not sure if I will stick around long enough to find out. I might. I might not.
I'll leave you on the edge of your seats. Have a good week.

Comments
Post a Comment