Happy and Glorious


Another Jubilee has come and gone. I hope you enjoyed your street parties and days off etc (unless you work in hospitality or shops - sorry. Does no one else feel that we could have made one of the days like Christmas Day and given more people the day off? We could have got organised and bought in our burger baps a day earlier). 

We didn't have a street party in the apartments. Well, I say we didn't have a party. It is quite possible that we had one and I wasn't invited. After that unfortunate business where I demanded to be taken out of the WhatsApp group because a couple of people on it seemed to be after starting QAnon - Plymouth Chapter,  I may well be persona non grata. I mean isn't an apartment WhatsApp group supposed to be about who keeps putting potato peelings in the cardboard recycling and is it ok to have a fire pit on the balcony? (It's not).  Well, we had to put up with a lot of nonsense discussions about Boris Johnson not having to follow the rules vis-a-vis lockdown parties because they were WHO rules and he was therefore under no obligation. At this point, I had a choice - Share my full and frank opinion or leave. I left. It was for the best.

Anyway. I digress. The Jubilee. We did buy a flag, as you can see but we couldn't get any bunting so I wasn't that comfortable just putting the flag up. It had a distinct whiff of the paramilitary about it on its own. I am very taken with my mug though - a birthday present. 

So what was the takeaway from it all. Here are my thoughts and please bear in mind that there will be a distinct lack of depth to these opinions because my head is very easily turned by a well-cut frock with a good hat.

1. My obsession with the Duchess of Cambridge continues unabated. 

2. My favourite quote of the weekend came from Kirsty Young on Harry and Meghan not being on the balcony "If you don't work for the company, I don't suppose you get to drive the car anymore." I felt a bit sorry for them a couple of times but I think, if you are about to release a book full of your truth (translation - slagging off a lot of people who have no right to reply) I think you have to expect that it's going to be a bit eggy. 

3. Rod Stewart, Diana Ross, Elton - I think it's probably done now. 

4.  I think the organisers missed a trick by not replacing one of the many, many God Save the Queens with the Horrible Histories' Monarchs Song. Preferably performed by the Royal Family. If possible on the balcony. 

5. Blimey, The Guardian can winge on a bit can't it? Like we used to say to the Jehovah's Witnesses at school - "If Christmas is so rubbish, then don't have the day off!" Every Guardian column inch was moaning and being sarky and laughing at people enjoying themselves. Lighten up. Nobody likes a nasty piece of work. 

6. I think we are all going to enjoy Prince Louis very much.

7. Story of the weekend for me was John Sentamu recounting how he had asked the Queen to pray for him which she duly did - silently and standing up. I think I often think of the Queen as being a Christian - having a sustaining faith but not doing living Christian things like praying etc. I should apologise to her for that and, in fact, I do. 

8. The Queen suits a strong colour don't you think?

9. The Paddington sketch was five gentle minutes of genius. Even the Guardian couldn't find anything to complain about. 

10. In the end, it's not the most important thing in the world and there are good questions to be asked about such a life of privilege in our present times. But, when The Queen talks about duty and commitment, no-one sniggers because she has lived it - for a very long time. I like her.

I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong. But I shall not have strength to carry out this resolution alone unless you join in it with me, as I now invite you to do: I know that your support will be unfailingly given. God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it.

Comments