Uncomfortable



Good afternoon. I trust you are well. I am back from church and the snooze that inevitably follows it these days. It had all been a bit rushed this morning because I had forgotten that this morning's service was going to be Pick and Mix; exploring different and 'exciting' ways of worship. Experience has taught me that this can sometimes mean crawling through a polytunnel carrying a flag with the word "Rejoice" in my teeth in order to place it on a paper-mache globe of the world. This meant a last-minute change from a dress to jeans just in case my modesty was to be at stake.

In the end, there was an option to sit in a 15-minute sermon and then spend time in a room meditating on shells, rocks and other things that reminded us of God's goodness. This was actually rather marvellous and my only concern was that the birdsong track that the meeting leader was playing seemed to be attracting a large seagull to the open door. Those seagulls can be lethal in enclosed spaces.

Aged Parent is currently in hospital being assessed as someone has decided that the most recent fall in her living room - which was only discovered when the carers brought breakfast at 7am - may mean that she may not be living in the right place and more support may be needed. If you have a second, I would appreciate any short but fervent prayers you feel able to offer on our behalf. She definitely needs a move asap. However, she is also very much still herself. I visited yesterday and after half an hour of "See her - she's horrible." and "She's fat - really massive" and "I hate it in here." I made my excuses and left and, I'm being honest here, I kept the chocolate eclairs we had brought for her and scoffed them down on the way home. Compensation.

I thought I would just spend a little bit of time talking about the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v Wade making abortion illegal in many American states. There is, I think, an assumption that all Christians feel the same about this and that the default position is pro-life and we are all waving banners and hooraying. Hmm.

Firstly, I am really upset by the level of triumphalism here. All those people outside courtrooms shouting "Praise God" and jumping up and down. It makes me feel quite ill. I am not entirely sure that what is going on here has anything at all to do with the Christian faith. How can it, when it seems to triumph over the poor, the vulnerable and the fearful which is where many women considering abortions are? The truth is that rich women will still be able to obtain abortions with very little effort so this seems like an attempt to keep poor women, and oppressed women including non-white women in their place.

I'm no fan of abortion. I think a lot of lies are told about it and this groovy liberal "Oh it was hardly a baby at all" talk does no one any favours - the foetus, the woman or anyone else involved. I especially feel the bewilderment of those struggling to conceive who cannot begin to fathom why someone might not want the baby that is their most cherished desire. I've also watched with sadness as adults with learning difficulties and Downs Syndrome have had to advocate for their own right to life - even as they live more fulfilling and useful lives than many of us are managing. But I am uncomfortable with this. I'm uncomfortable with the lack of nuance. I'm uncomfortable with achieving your aims via legislating control over someone else's body. You don't have to be - I am. 

To me, it all seems to be about politics. People in power have made this decision and now they will go skipping off to their ivory towers - never to get involved in the aftermath. Where are they to support the baby born into extreme poverty? Where are they when an 11-year-old who was raped has to deal daily with the trauma? Will they be there when a woman who had a child as a result of a coercive relationship has a permanent connection to a man who only wants to control her? Will they be there when a child is born with long-term or life-threatening disabilities? Obviously, all these things can be overcome and people can flourish. In a perfect world, mothers would get support, spiritual, physical, financial but we all know that is not going to happen. 

This is an important time for Christianity. Spend 15 minutes on Twitter and you will find videos telling us in no uncertain terms that they have no interest in the Christian faith and we have no right to impose our cold-hearted, antiquated, power-mad principles on them. (usually, this kind of speech is peppered with words beginning with F that I won't bother you with). Christians expect to swim against the tide. It's just that, when Jesus swam against the tide, he was advocating kindness, gentleness and preferring your brother in a cold hierarchical and often cruel society - this feels a bit opposite to that. 

You will be surprised to learn that I have no definitive answers here. I'm expecting people to get a bit upperty with me. But, I have a jumpy conscience here and I just wanted to say so. 


Comments

  1. Thank you for putting into words how I feel about the whole abortion debate. Particularly the lack of nuance. There are so many grey areas, it’s not a black and white issue. I particularly worry about rape and incest victims, and those women whose lives are endangered by being pregnant. At the same time I want to protect all the unborn babies too, so I can’t come down on one side or the other. I know there have to be basic laws about it but there should be room for flexibility within them - somehow. But don’t ask me how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was involved with a group which gave out grants to charities. I suggested to my friend she should apply. Her group supported pregnant women, with major problems. Mainly helping them if they chose to go through with the pregnancy, but also offering help and support to those trying to come to terms with their decisions about abortion. Because their literature included the A-word, and helped post-abortion women, the group said they could not help with funding. This felt wrong to me. WWJD?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment