Bit tired. You?


 

Hello. I hope you have had a good week. I'm a bit distracted while I'm writing this, to be honest, so if it goes off-piste - you'll know why. (You are probably thinking "don't do me any favours - come back when you've thought things through") but I am pluckily ploughing on - whether you want me to or not. 

Firstly, obviously, I am watching the Lionesses. They have been outstanding - living breathing cheeriness. I will always be a fan of male football first but these women have been amazing. They produce a different brand of football which is at least as valuable and it has done us the world of good. 

Also, I have just noticed on Twitter that Kate Middleton - The Duchess of Cambridge to you - has been in Plymouth all afternoon doing something on high-speed yachts. This is literally 150 yards up the road from me. I love Kate!!! If only I had known she was here! What a missed opportunity to tell her how much I love her. (Sent a message saying this to my daughter and she has said "Maybe it's for the best.") I can't believe it.

It has been a quiet week. I've had a lot on at work which translated to I came home every evening with a jaunty and exciting To-Do list and fell asleep on the settee straight after tea. So early nights have been in order and a lot of reading. 

High on the list of romantic things HOH has done for me is buying me this Palace Papers book - see above. (and to be fair, it's a long list - especially that time he bought me a SatNav because I kept getting lost in the car and pulling up in side streets and crying a lot). He put all shame aside and walked right into Waterstones for me. To be fair to me (as you know, I always am) the book is written by Tina Brown who knows her way around journalism and can write an excellent paragraph. But I am here for the gossip. There's plenty of it and I slammed through a VERY thick book in about 3 days. 


This, however, was a bit different. Has anyone read this? I think I am in a gang of one here but I really struggled with this. It should have been a shoo-in. Cosy Mystery ✅ Set in an English "Miss Marple" church-based setting ✅ Written by Rev. Richard Coles - Official national treasure and thoughtful, intelligent good egg ✅ So I really wanted to like it. I think it must be me - especially judging by this book's position in the book charts. I think sometimes a book just doesn't land - even though it should. Anyone else ever had this with a book or telly or film that everyone else said was amazing? Just me? 

Anyway - we are looking forward to jolly hols soon. To Falmouth. (Even though HOH keeps saying Weymouth which is in completely the opposite direction). We've never been before. Despite living in Devon, the only place we have been to in Cornwall is St Ives which sort of isn't Cornwall because the centre is 98% second homeowners. Aged Parent is more secure at the moment - in a proper care home while she is being assessed so you feel under less pressure to go away if you know that it is less likely that she will set fire to her bed/her wardrobe/a carer. 

So hopefully, rest is on the way. Hopefully you too. Have a good week. 

Comments

  1. You are in (at least) a gang of two. I love Richard Coles, I follow him on Facebook, I listen to him on Saturday Live, I cheered him on in Strictly, (and he’s recently moved house to a village very close to my home town - I hope to bump into him in the local Waitrose one day). BUT I struggled with this book too. I got it for my birthday along with his other book The Madness of Grief. Now the latter was excellent, very moving, very real. The novel however could have done with a good edit I think, and I found the ending didn’t work either. I am disappointed in it because I wanted to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank goodness for that. I thought it was just me. Have been weighing up The Madness of Grief and will probably have a look at that - thank you.

      Delete
  2. So pleased you are back and miraculously finding time to write again. I more than most, appreciate that you have little precious time to yourself.
    Reading your blogs start my day on the right foot.
    ( and more brownie points to HOH) 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment