Give It A Rest


 People of Britain! I don't know if you spotted this, because there's been next to nothing about it in the press, but tonight is the Last Ever Happy Valley! I am in the bedroom writing this because I've never seen Happy Valley and the last episode seems a bit late to get on board really. (Not that I want to, particularly, I'm just feeling a bit left out). I have been very generous and given HOH a Vera pass so he can watch Happy Valley with the rest of the country and not be affected by spoilers. I hope it's half decent - for everyone's sake. 

We were on the hooky this morning and didn't go to church. All a bit full on really this week so I was a bit pooped. Also there was a social thing after church which I wasn't sure that I had the wherewithal for, so having weighed everything up, we went to the local market in Royal William Yard (see above) and consoled ourselves with two pieces of lemon meringue cake only slightly smaller than my head. I hadn't booked to go to the social thing by the way or promised anyone a nice rice salad for the buffet. However, these days, now I'm not being paid to go to church or don't have twenty years of parental guilt whispering in my ears, I'm ok with the fact that sometimes I don't go. It's not often but it was today. Yup.

I'm sorry if this veers off a bit but there's a lot of shouting coming from the telly already and also I've been struggling with a squeaky bra all day which is much worse when I am typing. It's a bit off-putting. It's not as if it's wired or anything. Anyway - I digress.

Speaking of parental guilt, we went to see Aged Parent on Saturday (which probably explains why I am having a slight touch of the vapours). We are going quite frequently now. We have been told that her health is deteriorating. Mostly, I don't share it with you because a lot of the amusing stuff (well, when I say amusing, I assume you know that means laughing so I don't cry) has evaporated now. However, she was feeling a bit stronger yesterday which probably accounts for balling her fists at a young lady who tried to take her to the bathroom, making a mime you could see from space to tell me that a lady just passing the room had a big nose and when I told her I had spoken on the phone to her doctor, asked "Is he still fat then?" 

HOH continues to behave heroically both in supporting me when my bottom lip wobbles like that man keeps doing in Pottery Throwdown and dealing only kindly with a woman who always felt that he took her daughter away and wasn't scared to show it. He is a good man as well as devastatingly handsome and I am always grateful. And I'm saying nothing about the fact that, now he has taken over the washing because he has retired and I have not, I do not seem to have anything washed for work which I only really noticed because the clothes maiden was full of his sea swimming stuff (again). Apparently, the sea was a tropical 11 degrees yesterday morning which means that it doesn't quite feel like thousands of needles are stabbing you when you get in. Well almost not. As usual HOH has managed to ingratiate himself into the gang of ladies that bring cake to the swim and so more often than not, he comes home with an excellent cherry Bakewell or a Victoria slice. So far, I have put my foot down about baking for a gang of people in swim hats that I have never met but I am looking into a no-bake Rollo fudge for them - I expect they could do with the sugar rush. 

I'm pretty sure I just heard screaming from the living room telly. I remember when I was working in the bank. Hebden Bridge was only known for being the Lesbian Capital of England and for always getting their cheques added up correctly when we used to collect them every day to be absorbed into the central bank account. (Not every branch did. I'm looking at you Todmorden).  Things move on don't they. I mean everywhere has lesbians now and no-where has any banks. So there you are. 

Anyway, it's all done now apparently so I can re-enter the Living Room. After all this drivel can I just leave you with a couple of things. If you are a going to the pictures sort, can I recommend The Fablemans? It's Stephen Spielberg. It's about his family and his young life. He has never been better (and he's obviously been very, very good). It's warm and troubling and sad. 

Also, the Sabbath Blessing from Pete Greig. I read it and a had a rest and am thankful. Have a great week.

May this day bring Sabbath rest to my heart and my home.
May God’s image in me be restored, and my imagination in God be re-storied.
May the gravity of material things be lightened, and the relativity of time slow down.
May I know grace to embrace my own finite smallness in the arms of God’s infinite greatness.
May God’s Word feed me and His Spirit lead me into the week and into the life to come.
Amen.



Comments

  1. The family arrived from London unexpectedly to spend 24hours at their cottage. It was lovely to see them. Rosie asked for a sleepover, and we said OK, as long as Daddy collects you by 9am, because we have a lot of people coming. (the chapel is being rewired, so this week we split into 4 "home-groups") The sleepover happened, and Rosie asked to sign the visitors' book. (useful when we were not in residence and all & sundry came to enjoy the place, but somewhat neglected since retirement) She wrote "it was grate apart from the vomting" I don't think I need to say any more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I have not ever watched an episode of Happy Valley either. I did see a brief trailer. She was neither in a valley nor happy. But then neither was Vera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we re all glad we got through Happy Valley - and I didn't even watch it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valley — it has a lot of violence in and is very intense, but Sally Wainwright is, IMO, one of the very best writers for television we have. I was so much in admiration of that script, just *brilliant*. Also she writes strong female characters, and Catherine in Happy Valley is unusual in that she stands in her own space, is vulnerable as well as strong, so that I got the sense of being *safe* with her in the story. The sort of person who, if you were with them, you would know everything would be okay. That is not your run-of-the mill writing. Plus the series is different from most in having a very clear moral compass without being heavy-handed or moralistic, and sketches as it unfolds how our decisions have consequences, and how at each fork in the road the choice you make takes you further towards, or away from, who you hoped you would be. It is a superb series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In deed. HOH assures me it was one of the best things he has ever seen on TV.

      Delete

Post a Comment