Apologies

 


Hello everyone. Hope you are ok. I'm so sorry but we went away last weekend and I forgot to say anything. We went to London to celebrate FOW 2's birthday. I have said before that I love London. I feel it never lets you down. Except, it never usually rains in London, and it was coming down in sheets for some of our trip. At one point, we were walking over the bridge near St Pauls, when the sky changed to navy blue and the heavens opened. Everyone started running in blind panic - mainly I suppose because no one had a brolly. FOW 2 said it felt like the Dementors in Harry Potter were about to arrive. 

When booking the weekend, I thought we might go for something a bit different. So, I booked us into a hotel called The Zedwell (geddit?) It was a bit cheaper than usual but there was no breakfast provision (not really a problem in London). they don't do electronics - no TV, hairdryer etc. The room was basic with no windows and very little furniture. The whole thing is supposed to be more restful. You sleep on a lovely bed in a wooden cocoon in a room with a natural slate floor and a beautiful shower. The only thing it didn't have was A DOOR TO THE BATHROOM THAT WASN'T SEE THROUGH! I don't know if you can see from this photo but the door to the bathroom is a very basic frosted glass and it HIDES NOTHING. Now, this might have been passable if it was just me and HOH although, we've never been one of those couples where one sits on the loo and chats while the other one is in the bath. Call me repressed - see if I am bothered. But, as I believe I may have mentioned FOW 2 was with us. She has lived over 20 years where the nearest she has come to seeing her father's accoutrements is being on the same beach while he struggles to get changed under a beach towel and it was not on anyone's bucket list to change that state of affairs. So there was a lot of whistling and shouting "Turn Your Back To The Wall" and we got through. All of us would go back there - just not necessarily as a gang of three.


To return to the original story, we were in London to see Fran Lebowitz - an American satirist and writer. She was being interviewed about her life and work. The event took place in The London Palladium. I was surprised at how small it was. HOH showed his age by wondering out loud how they got all those Tiller Girls on the stage. For me, it didn't really feel like the London Palladium - not without a revolving stage where the jugglers and Bruce Forsyth waved at you as the stage went around at the end of the show. That was entertainment. 

Fran Lebowitz. (2023, April 9). In Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Lebowitz

Anyway, Ms Lebowitz mainly talks about her life in New York where she is very famous with lots of famous friends. She can be quite caustic but she's very funny and stands no messing. She has lots to say on politics (British and American) and is particularly funny about Prince Harry and Megan. - especially her claim that she didn't know who he was when she met him. I'll be honest, I enjoyed it much more than I expected it to. Also, we went to Zara. I may have bought some clothes. Did I mention that?

Back to work this week. Although May is about 80% Bank Holidays what with the King and all that. There seems to be a lot of debate about whether we should have a monarchy. I think we are probably going to have one for a while yet. Mostly, I will be into the Coronation for the dresses. Fran Lebowitz said she thought we probably shouldn't have a monarchy but that before we all rush to get rid of it, just remember who we voted to lead us when we had the chance - Trump and Johnson so let's not do anything hasty. 

So we are back now and I have to catch up on Race Across the World. This is the first series I have seen. Is everyone else an expert on it? Canada hasn't been hit with the ugly stick has it? I don't know if you watch it. I just know that, if I was in it, I would be eliminated within about 20 minutes because I would rather eat my shoes than ask a stranger for a lift. Also - has no one seen The Hitcher? I have a very tarnished view of life sometimes.

Have a good week.

Comments