Is it God or is it Woo-Woo?


Hello all. I hope you are ok. I am at the beginning of a week's leave. We are all a bit fed up to be honest, because, having planned a week in London and seeing that the next rail strikes are not due for a couple of weeks, we were all a bit ready to be relaxed. Now we discover that there will be an overtime ban next week and ALL trains are subject to alteration or cancellation. This is a bit annoying because we can't move anything because HOH and FOW2 are going to see Bruce Springsteen. ( I am not going to see him - I couldn't whistle Born to Run and would be a liability. I am off to a gallery and Oxford Street. Hurrah!) So everyone is a bit on edge now. (By the way - in case anyone was wondering - I put the blame fair and square at the door of the Government on this one. It is their job to sort this out - not launch a war of attrition that won't affect people with ministerial cars. Also - I am not thrilled by the idea of closing all managed ticket offices in the country. As someone who works with the elderly and disabled, let me reinforce how difficult it is sometimes, to travel alone and the value of having a human being to talk to and check your tickets are ok. Actually, scratch elderly and disabled I quite appreciate it myself). I try to be Christian and nice about these people but Good Grief! 

To talk about something else - mainly for your sanity. There has been a lot of talk about us self diagnosing because of the state the Health Service is in. (See above paragraph on governmental wars of attrition etc. and repeat ad nauseam) I have been seeing things about the importance of the Sun on us - all bits of us - for Vitamin D but also well being. Now I read somewhere that Joan Collins has never let the sun near her skin and she is a fine looking 90-odd. I suppose. I've never seen her up close. But, at the risk of sounding like George Harrison in his getting touch with his bits and pieces phase - "Here comes the sun" and we need to be in it. Some self diagnosis seems self explanatory. "My head is hurting. Too many prawn toasts. I will take paracetamol. Ta! Dah!

There is however, more of a move towards preventative measures (Lay off the Chinese food - or at least - do you need six plastic trays between two of you?) and some of these measures seem a bit off the beaten track. Is it real OR is it woo-woo? These are some of the things I have seen. Have you done them? What do you think?

1. Grounding. This is where you go out in your bare feet and stand in grass. It has to be direct contact with the earth. It doesn't count on a tarmac car park. It is also supposed to work for inflammation. It's a bit difficult where we live because the only bit of green land has a lot of dog walkers and, with the best will in the world and assiduous work with a poo bag you can't guarantee anything. I think this will also be better in spring than in winter.

2. Gargling for the vagus nerve. The vagus nerve is a nerve that links the brain to the gut. As we now know that the gut is like a second brain, the vagus nerve has to function well to prevent depression, anxiety etc. One way to stimulate the vagus nerve is to gargle because some bits of the nerve are located at the back of the throat. I know this is sounding a bit like a Stephen King novel now but 'tis apparently so. Singing also works well apparently, in case you are having a panic attack on the Underground and gargling isn't really an option. You might think that singing also wasn’t an option. But I have been on the underground many times when people have been singing and no one seems to pay much attention.

3. Breathing for Dementia. Apparently scientists are discovering that breathing can reduce the levels of Alzheimer's-associated amyloid beta peptides. (I have no idea what those are). You do need to inhale for a count of five, then exhale for a count of five,  for 20 minutes, twice a day, for four weeks and see what happens. Now, I think that is quite a lot of breathing and I do think that for someone like myself, with historically low blood pressure, it could lead to a lot of standing up and having to grab the nearest chair. But still. Interesting.

I come from a background where there were two options for healing - God (eldership, front row of church, if you were unlucky being shaken about a bit because Mr Foster was a bit heavy handed) or Doctors. (Appointments within a couple of days, pills, bandages, A and E or Casualty as we called it then. Remember those days?). Anything else could be labelled dodgy. Yet now, partly because we have had to - (please see first paragraph re NHS and politicians with Private Health Care) we are looking further into the causes of the problems that our God-given bodies have and looking to connect with stopping problems before they start. 

I've been quite struck by an account on Instagram called The Faith Filled Therapist. Jo Hargreaves is a Christian Psychotherapist and she has really interesting techniques for well-being etc. 

Importantly though, because she is a Christian, she also majors on the forgiveness of God and remembering who you are and that you are loved and precious which is always the most important place to start.

I also think that remembering who God is is also vital for well being. That he is God, in control and able to do  - well - everything. 

God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. Ephesians 3

I have no idea how the trains are going to end up this week but I do have a choice. I can work myself up to a lather and worry to a point where all the gargling in the world is not going to calm me down or I can choose not to worry. Ask God and leave it. I'm better at the worry option to be honest but sometimes you have to take responsibility for your mental health and don't waste time worrying when you could be having peace and finding time to get your legs out, in the sun on the balcony.

Have a good week. Also. I don't believe that I am writing this but I obviously cannot take any responsibility for any poo between your toes, head rushes or other side effects you have if you have a go at any of this. You have been warned.

Comments

  1. I had a friend who maintained that skipping (along the road, not with a skipping rope) was good for your health. He said as you get older it helps you to balance properly and not fall over. That was about twenty years ago. Every so often, when we think about him for some reason, we skip a bit (usually in quiet lanes away from public gaze - two pensioners skipping hand in hand through central Norwich is not wise) I was going to say "And do you know, I have not fallen over since". But after the incident where my face hit the road in Glasgow, I'm not sure anymore. Maybe I would have had more falls by now without the skipping.
    Life in retirement remains interesting, but I'm glad God is sorting things out - because it's far too complicated for me to manage. We are going to London Wednesday week - childcare Duties... It would have been nice to have been there when you are so we could meet up. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the best skipper - with or without rope. Think it takes more coordination than I possess. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of handing over to God the things that are beyond me is such a stress reliever. One of the Catherine Fox novels makes a big deal of a sampler that says 'Thou, God, seest me' a text which I used to find threatening but now find very comforting. Good to know He sees them, too, whoever needs a bit of 'seeing' at (or to, perhaps? Oh, that's my human side speaking out loud. Ooops)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See what you mean about “The God who sees” I used to know an old lady who to say “Well God sees you know.” as a threat when someone had offended her. Not sure that was how it was meant either. Love Catherine Fox. Maybe a bit jig a jig for a maiden aunt but such a good storyteller with real people

      Delete

Post a Comment