Old Biddy




Hello everyone. I hope you are well. I have returned to my usual practice and have not done anything even vaguely sociable this week. We skipped church this morning and went for a walk at Bigbury Beach - above. It seemed like a good idea at the time. It was a bit wet but we didn't let it hold us back - well not too much. We did go back to the car as soon as the rain was actually dripping off our noses. Still, nice to have an hour out as Nanas say. I am back now, in front of Antiques Roadshow with a whisky and a ropey old pair of slippers. I know how to live. My favourite bits on Antiques Roadshow are when people pretend that it doesn't matter that something they thought was going to be a pension is only worth a few pounds or, even better, when people who have been told that a scabby old painting that their auntie left them turns out to be worth ten thousand pounds. "I'll never sell" they say but if you look closely, you can see them trying to see if they can spot the booth where they can flog it asap. 

I digress. I was listening to Bishop Richard Harries on Thought for the Day on Radio 4 this week. No! Come back this was interesting, really it was! He was talking about getting old. I don't know about you but I certainly am noticing my age more and more now.

Reasons I know I am ageing

1. I make a noise when I sit down, Actually, I make a sound when I get up. (if I can get up)

2. All my football heroes - admittedly older than me - Bobby Charlton, Terry Venables - are dropping like flies.

3. I need HOH to help me switch the shower on if we are in a hotel. I usually can't see the dials and if I can see them, I can't understand them.

4. I find Ru Paul's Drag Race frightening, not because of any sexuality issues but because it's so LOUD.

5. I have no patience for bad punctuation. Well, let me qualify that. I have no patience for other people's bad punctuation. My own, frequently appalling punctuation, is absolutely fine.

6. I'm fastening my bra at the front.

7. What IS going on around my middle?

You probably have plenty of your own signposts. Bishop Harries was talking about something that Jesus said to Peter - recorded in John 21

I’m telling you the very truth now: When you were young you dressed yourself and went wherever you wished, but when you get old you’ll have to stretch out your hands while someone else dresses you and takes you where you don’t want to go.

Wiser people than I have said that this was about Peter's martyrdom. However, reading the description, I can remember Aged Parent being undressed for bed by someone in her Care Home and, despite her shouting "Gerroff!" she was still gently parted from her favourite jumper -  a men's XXL and we had no idea where it was from - and placed into her nightdress. 

Unfortunately for my nearest and dearest, I can become a bit maudlin at Christmas. Mainly it's because when I was ill, I started to feel really ill at Christmas so the memories aren't great. However, sometimes I think it is because Christmas marks the passing of the years as certainly as my creaky back. 

You could get a bit depressed about it if you dwell on things too much. So, how I cheer myself up a bit.

1. I count my blessings. Not in an Instagram, annoying way. "Ooh, I'm so lucky to be invited on the Orient Express to try on face cream." More - getting into bed after a heavy day, snuggling up to HOH and thinking how marvellous it is to be under a warm quilt. Or being able to have stupid banter with my offspring, usually about nothing. Or picking a mince pie out of a foil tray - thinking thank you and wondering if two would be unacceptable.

2. Trying to remain reasonably healthy (not possible for everyone) partly by answering no to the above enquiry re second mince pie. Getting outside whenever possible and laughing at other people's dogs.

3. Learning to read/watch what I like not necessarily what the Guardian says is cool. 

4. COS sale. Sorry. 

Also, to spiritualise things a tad more I also remember Psalm 37

I once was young, now I’m a graybeard—(me too - tweezers are my best friend these days) not once have I seen an abandoned believer. 

Ageing doesn't seem to be avoidable, there is a nuclear option of dying or the world ending but those might be not quite what I am after, and for me, that can be a bit depressing but I need to stir up what I know. I've seen great things happen and some not so great but I've not been abandoned or been left alone. Bits are wobbling all the time - both bellies and sometimes bottom lips but there are still good times and mince pies are still there to be had.

Have a good week.




Comments