Getting on with it


 

CARE. Reference to suicide in this piece.

Hello everyone. I hope you are ok. I have not written for a little while because you are probably here for fun and frolics and I have found myself unable to provide them. Over the last couple of weeks, I have had to make someone redundant, made plans to reduce hours and the service we provide and then a member of staff died unexpectedly. It seems that he took his own life. I am writing about it here because I know there is very little crossover from the people who read this and staff members and those that do read it are already aware of the circumstances. 

To be frank, although we are a small team, I didn't know him that well so I haven't been as affected by it as his friends and family obviously but it was a shock and having to pass the news on to various people was a bit challenging. 

Where do you stand on the old trials and tribulations thing? After this week my Nana would have been telling me that these things happen in threes (why?). My other Nana would be saying "Worse things happen at sea." which they obviously do because ships sink and people get stranded in the water and huge sharks come and pick them off one by one. This is obviously a bad thing but it is not immediately relevant to me as far as I can see. 

If Aged Parent were here she would be saying "Are doing anything extra for God? Have you taken on something for him? Because "You Know Who" will not like that you know and will definitely have a go at you." This would be accompanied by a wagging finger which was intensely annoying. For those not acquainted with the Voldermort/ He who must not be named approach - she was talking about Satan. I don't usually have any truck with this sort of talk, except...we have taken on a role at church (Head of Welcome since you asked. No laughing at the back, please. You know the theory that Barnabas was given that name because he wasn't particularly encouraging and the hope was that he would live up to his name? I think our church may be thinking along the same lines when it comes to me being welcoming. I'm expecting HOH to do most of the heavy lifting around the actual "Hello. Have you been before?" conversations. Mainly because I would rather eat my own shoes than do that sort of thing. I'll be the ideas person.) Where was I? 

Ah yes. Since we agreed to do this - we've had nothing but trouble and I have really struggled to get going with it. Soooo - do you think there is anything in it? What Aged P used to call "Coming Under ATTACK"?

I seem to be still functioning on a day-to-day level so far without running down the street in my underpants wielding an axe and I'm hardly a mighty woman of faith so what is helping?

Firstly. It's not all about me. Even if I feel it should be. (Well, at least a bit more about me). Although I may be affected by things that are going on, I am trying to keep reminding myself that others have it worse which means that worse things do happen at sea.

Then. Relaxing when I can. Glass of wine. Match of the Day. Agatha Christie. Cheese and onion pie. Not all at the same time. 

Being impressed by goodness when I see it. People are ok sometimes. Last night our neighbours  - who have small children and are quite rumbustious at the best of times - had a couple of families round and at 11pm HOH and I were worried that they were going to burst through the wall like Batman. So we knocked on the door and complained. (Nicely. I hate the thought of being those people. However, can I just say, we were 100% correct) Neither of us was happy and thought things might be awkward now. Then, today we returned from church to find this on our doorstep with an apology and two children's drawings attached. (Ratbags. I can never resist a child's drawing.) 

Remembering where I came from and what is still true. More years ago than I would care to share, we used to sing a hymn which I have always found a useful reminder of my place in God and how he feels about me. I've written it how I sing it. If you know, you know. Have a good week.

God is still on the throne,
And He will re­mem­ber His own;
Tho’ tri­als may press us and bur­dens dis­tress us,
He ne­ver will leave us alone;
God is still on the throne,
He ne­ver for­sak­eth His own; pro­mise is true, He will not for­get yoooooou,
God is still on the throne. 

Kittie L. Suffield

Comments

  1. Well, I do think that one can be 'beset' if not actually 'under attack'. when one is doing work that furthers the kingdom of God. (And me brought up High Church Anglican with a touch of the RC an' all). So I'll add you and your family to my prayers as and when I pray.
    I like those encircling celtic prayers for tough times, like st Patrick's breastplate (I'm nothing if not eclectic in my churchmanship)
    Agatha Christie and red wine sounds a comforting combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers. Much appreciated

      Delete
  2. I've never been comfortable with the sort of theology that imagines YKW behind every lamppost, waiting to jump on any Christian who isn't concentrating [like the bears who come up and eat if, if you step on the cracks in the pavement]
    Sorry to read about your colleague. God give you wisdom and grace when your workmates expect you to have all the answers. You're wise enough to know you don't, but caring enough to want to offer them comfort.
    We are in a semi-detached bungalow. Our neighbours moved in last September. Their boys are 9&11. Both parents work at the care home. He does the night shift, comes home for breakfast, then goes to bed after the school run. We've tried to be mindful of this. Our bedrooms are along the party wall. We never hear them.
    Then last Sunday they were Really Noisy about 11pm. And again on Tuesday and Wednesday. I was worried they'd disturb Rosie's sleep, but they didn't. One evening we could hear children as well as adults, and it sounded like an argument. I agonised about what to do. Let's wait till Rosie has gone, and their boys are on half term, and see what happens...
    Saturday we went out, returning at noon. As I struggled to the door, carrying a large box, the boys and young female (teenage) walked up my front path. She introduced herself, said they were relatives visiting for the week., and she wanted to say Hi before they went back home (on the 2am ferry) We chatted. I think the boys were really embarrassed! Then in the afternoon there was a noisy departure. It's been blissfully quiet ever since.
    I'm glad you got the flowers.
    Regarding your new role at Church. In the absence of AP I shall have to be the one who wags my finger and says "Better a doorkeeper in the house of the Lord, than to stand in the tents of the wicked" (im not keen on camping, I avoid all t) ents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, the tents of the wicked - I always imagined they were not very well looked after - not terribly hygienic I would have thought. I'm leaving the door keeping to HOH. It was a relief when we saw at least fifteen people coming out of next door and we realised they were visitors. You worry when you think the set up at your quiet little apartment is going to change.

      Delete
  3. I hope you are not too affected by the UXB in PLYMOUTH, thinking of you generally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. Thank you. They closed a lot of roads and HOH was a bit concerned that they might detonate it where he swims and bring the entire sea facing cliff into where he swims but, in the end, all was well

      Delete

Post a Comment